Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"Greving" or "Fairing la Greve"

Greve= Strike         Faire la greve= Going on strike

Today is the 4th of what will probably be many strikes for the extension of the retirement age in France.

My first encounter with this greve was with my parents in Paris when we got stuck after 15 hours of traveling from SFO to London to Paris. The last leg was, of course, Bordeaux. We couldn't get there because last minute our flight was canceled for the greve. We transferred our flight to ORLY from CDG and slept on the benches at Orly.

Since I live near a main square the Greve march was my alarm. My roommate came out of his room and said "What the hell"? lol even some of the French get annoyed by greves.

At least I don't have work today!
Maybe I'll go check out the laundromat after my run (Riveting...I know). Maybe run by the tourist office (if it is open) to see if there are buses to St. Emilion tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. St Emilion is gorgeous! I was there ... whoa a long time ago...96. Cobblestone streets so narrow we had to tuck in our car mirrors!

    Do people there realize there is a budgetary reality that the old pension system won't work? Sarkozy needs to stay strong!

    ReplyDelete